Wonderful evening light!25/08/18 21.34
26dec17-- Formerly Piazza Santo Oronzo presented a different plan as the space of the Roman Amphitheater was hidden from the nineteenth-century shops. Once the archaeological excavations were carried out, the small village was demolished to bring to light the ancient Amphitheater.
Good copying and pasting by Capture Sam I see?
Social SalentoThis shot is full of architectural and historical elements. Another important monument that we can see in front is the Palazzo del Seggio, better known as "Il Sedile", is a palace in the historic center of Lecce, located in Piazza Sant'Oronzo. It dates back to the late sixteenth century. The building was built in 1592 on behalf of the then Venetian mayor Pietro Mocenigo, to replace the old man shot down in 1588.The structure, an interesting mixture of gothic and renaissance spirit, is characterized by four piers pierced with ovules that incorporate a column, including large ogival arches with pointed arches surmounted by loggias and decorated with trophies. The type of corner pillar recalls the type most likely conceived by Gabriele Riccardi: the same pillar can be seen, in fact, even at the corner of the right side of the Basilica of Santa Croce. In ancient times, as observed in vintage prints of the square, the building was also completed by a clock surmounted by two statues. Next to it is the church of San Marco. The church was built in 1543 at the behest of the thriving colony of Venetians residing in the city and therefore named after San Marco.Until the early decades of the nineteenth century, it was included in the housing fabric, the neighborhood of the Venetians, and in its vicinity ran in ancient times the Lodges of the merchants and the seat of the Venetian Consulate. The Venetians, eager to have a church to celebrate their religious offices, expressed this need to the bishop of Lecce GB Castromediano who gave them the chapel of San Giorgio, located in the central area of Piazza dei Mercanti (today Sant'Oronzo). They then gave the task of transforming the old structure to the most famous architect active in the city, Gabriele Riccardi. The Seat, was used in the past for various institutional uses and as a place of exposure. Until 1851 it was home to the City Hall, while today it is once again used for art exhibitions and exhibitions.
18dec17--A Thank You to our host, Alvino Suite & Breakfast, & Social Salento-the community, for sponsoring this 'live cam' view of the Roman amphitheater of Piazza Santo Oronzo, Lecce. spectacular.