Piazza della Borsa (also known as "Stock Exchange Square") is one of the most beautiful squares of Trieste and the busiest one, especially since the nineteenth century, when it was considered the main economic center of the city. Even today, commercial affairs, important business meetings and activities revolve around this beautiful square in the heart of Trieste.
The city embodies an extraordinary story, it had firstly the Nazi domination and then was under jugoslavian rule; situated between the northeastern Italy and Slovenia, in the middle between the Central Europe and the Mediterranean, and being between the Adriatic Sea and the Karst Plateau, the capital city of the Friuli Venezia Giulia was always considered the heart of trade activities among international countries, also thanks to its port that made easier the commerce with its neighbouring regions. The central european features are partly reflected in the urban furniture especially as regards the buildings lines, long avenues and large squares. Piazza della Borsa is partly influenced by these features, thanks to its neoclassical style, irregularly shaped, hazily triangular.
Just a few feet away from the famous Piazza Unità d'Italia (Unity of Italy Square), it was once well-known as Piazza della Dogana and situated at the place of the modern Tergesteo; its current name derives from the building, designed by the Architect Antonio Mollari (1806), once the center of stock market trading activities (and therefore also called "Old Stock Exchange") while today elegant seat of the local Chamber of Commerce. The building is an excellent example of the most refined neoclassical style of Trieste, it looks like a doric-style greek temple, the façade is decorated with statues representing the continents, a further tribute to the once important role that Trieste played in the global commerce. The adjoining building, ex-Dreher Palace, was the center of the activities of traders in 1928 as well, for this reason it takes the name of "New Stock Exchange". Just a foot from it, there was once the Canal Piccolo, definitively filled in 1816. In front of the Chamber of Commerce and once moved from Pozzo del Mare Square, a wonderful and large bronze statue has been erected on a stone column in 1808 in tribute to the Emperor Leopold I of Austria. Not far away stands the Fountain of Neptune, raised only during the recent restoration of the square. The above-mentioned Tergesteo (designed by the Arch. Francis Bruyn and built in the forties of the XIX century) is probably one of the greatest structures in neo-classical style, today an important business center, the ideal way to go shopping or enjoy freetime, inside the elegant gallery there are historic cafes and shops of every kind that between the XIX and the XX century made the square one of the busiest meeting places of the city. The Tergesteo overlooks Piazza Verdi (Verdi Square), extremely important place of culture, here we can find the G. Verdi Theatre dating back to 1901.
Piazza della Borsa is bordered by a large number of palaces, most of them used as offices and shops, and prominent buildings of great architectural significance, Casa Bartoli (Arch. Max Fabiani-1905), in elegant liberty style, is an execellent example of that.